Elwell did not feature in the 1949 exhibition at Langley Baths. Their ironworks produced numerous items such as steel roofs, pig and cow houses, sectional steel sheds, garages, stores, many for agricultural purposes. They were also wholesale makers of fencing and gates, standards, stakes, tennis surrounds, wire fencing, galvanized tanks, cisterns and cylinders.
The company was originally founded by James Felton Elwell in 1860, a steel merchant from Snow Hill, John Elwell being the brother. The firm moved to Oldbury in 1926, alongside the Rood End railway yard. In 1972 the company was sold to Tube Investments.